Wednesday, January 11, 2017

HOME GROWN GUEST DESIGNER #7 | SKAI MITCHELL

This months Guest Designer burst on to the Scrapbooking scene with a style that was sure to get her noticed.  It grabbed my attention and I just love her work.  I am so excited to share with you this month the work of Skai Mitchell.


"My name is Skai and ive been making things pretty since I could hold a pencil. My art career began in Kindergarten when I began sewing roll call bags on my mother's ancient Husqvarna sewing machine. I studied art all through high school, and for my HSC did 3 unit Visual Arts, Photography, Graphic design and Ceramics and completed a Certificate 2 in Fine Arts at Tafe at the same time 'just for fun'.... l began Uni to be a Arts teacher. Life quickly got put on hold with a whirlwind engagement and pregancy and at 19 found myself a mother with a mortgage.... Fast forward 5 years and the birth of my second child, i found myself wandering into a scrapbooking store looking for glue and quickly was entranced by the pretty papers and embellishments. I began scrapping on and off, but struggled in my early years when Making Memories and 'clean' sticker styles were in vougue. My messy paint splatters, textures and darker imagery wasnt kindly embraced and I went quiet for a few years... In 2015 I went on a whim to a local retreat with Peta from Scrapbooking From scratch and found my 'tribe'.... all these ladies were into Mixed Media, art journalling and messy stuff and it re-ignited my passion again.. Today im fully emerced into mixed media memory keeping, im a self confessed over sharer and document all the good, the bad and the brutally honest parts of my life. I collect black cats and Tattoo's and when im not 'art-ing', I am a Family Daycare Educator to some amazing families and thier children. I live in Lake Macquarie with my 2 children Zane and Trinity-Jewel and my un-husband James (16 years latter and still engaged).... This layout is a personal one for me. I loved the bollywood beauty of it, but it was the title 'once i was lost' that drew me in... here ive used a pretty unflattering pic of me at 17.... dark circles and pale skin and empty eyes that hide the pain and torment I was going through at the time.... by that age id already lived 2 lifetimes and seen and done things ill never put to paper.... but then I found Art through an amazing teacher and it honestly saved me... then and again latter in life through scrapbooking... its plainer and simpler than most of my messy works, but in only a few elements conveys the story it needs to. Thanks for taking the time to read my little story and look and my work. Pop on over to my blog or Instagram and follow my journey there..."

Here is Skai's Layout



This is mixed media Scrapbooking Art at its finest. I'm sure you will agree Skai's art/scrapbooking envokes deep thoughts and feelings. I just love it.

If you would like to see more of Skai's work go check out her Social Media

Blog: http://urbanangelemporium.blogspot.com.au/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/skaiblu82/?hl=en
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skaiblu82

Thank you Skai for Guesting this month. I'm sure we will see more of Skai around here at Scrap the Girls.

Have you linked up your layout yet?

Krisy xx

1 comment:

Lizzyc said...

So lovely to know a bit more about you Skai, thanks for sharing.. art sure does heal.. love your layout for this month!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.